Monday, March 15, 2004

Eating breakfast and I feel like I'm gonna throw up. Nice beginning sentence for a blog Thirza, I'm sure people want to know that. (I talk to myself sometimes, good conversation is hard to find and I like the arguements.) It's these new drugs I'm on, hello Zyprexa. You have a Z in your name too so we should be getting along better. This side effect of nausea is supposed to go away in a week or so.

Side effects of psych meds, I hate them. Lithium, the drug of choice for bipolars, is horrible for me. I get shakes and tremors, my cousin got them too. The doctors didn't listen to him when he told them what was going on, he ended up in muscle spasms on the sidewalk in PoCo. Turns out he could have died, it could have stopped his heart. So yeah, lithium's not the best choice for our family. Epival, otherwise known as Valproic Acid, is far better. I haven't had any terrible side effects beyond weight gain. Sometimes you lose hair, but zinc is supposed to stop that.

The problem with Zyprexa is that it can cause diabetes, or at least, heighten your risk of becoming diabetic. Diabetes also runs in my family, as it does in many native people today. So that's not very nice.

And the good old anti-depressants. Ah, now there is something sure to kill any desire for sex. Even if you're temporarily celibate like I am, losing your libido totally sucks.

The problem is that psych drugs start off a domino effect, today's drugs can't target just the one thing without throwing everything else out of balance. It's such a hassle. But you know, life is like that. Nothing can be perfect.

I just want this side effect to pass soon so I can eat without wanting to hurl.

The good news is that I have my CareCard finally so I can go to the hospital if I need too. However the mini crisis has passed, so it's a bit of a moot point. I think it's going to be a long while before I ever have to go to the hospital again. Maybe I will never have to return. I have another close relative who was hospitalized at around my age, and I don't think she's ever been back. Something good to remember.

No comments: